Saturday, July 4, 2009

Moving on up . .

Number 3516! I am actually doing this! I just hope I figure out a way to get rich from doing so. Who knew it costs 400 dollars to have a cat's teeth cleaned? Are they serious? Probably this might feel different if I actually LIKED Panda, our big black and white cat -- but, alas, I do not.

On other fronts, I'm having another one of those moments where someone you knew from graduate school ends up incredibly successful and wealthy, and you, well, don't. Among my grad school acquaintances from Oxford, I can boast: a Pulitzer Prize winner, an ambassador and now a senior White House advisor. I, on the other hand, am significantly less successful. I wonder if the difference between me and them is that they were all in fact actually much more intelligent than me, if they were all simply more driven while I am innately lazy and disorganized, or if the gods somehow smiled on them and granted them favor in which they did not upon me. I find myself scanning back on those years wondering if the clues were there then that each of them would achieve stunning success, wealth, fame and fortune. Were they more driven than me back in graduate school? Not that I can recall . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you find this post helpful?