Monday, July 6, 2009

3431!

Oh so productive this morning. Since June 14, I've read seventy books which is a scary thought in and of itself. I was pleasantly surprised to see how many more 'helpful' votes I had collected, and to see that I am climbing the rankings.

However, lately I've been pondering the connection between pulp fiction and junk food. To some degree, putting away three or four trashy novels a day feels a bit too much like eating a bag of potato chips. Not bad at the time, but you know it can't be good for you and after a couple of days of eating like that, you actually find yourself craving a salad or two. I'm not quite sure how old Harriet can subsist purely on a diet of pulp fiction. and I wonder what the intellectual equivalent of having a fat ass is, too, come to think of it. Personally, I found myself craving a little Strobe Talbott and foreign policy analysis over the weekend -- as my most recent reviews will show. I'm not sure I have what it takes to sustain my climb to the top of the Amazon heap in the long run. I'll check into the literary "diets" of those in the top spots and let you know. If it means only reading junk fiction for the next year or so, I'm not sure I"ll be able to do it.
Also, all these books with all that action in them is actually starting to make me feel a bit jumpy. I can't seem to turn my mind off anymore, which is never a good thing.

On other fronts, I wrote another op-ed which I'm somewhat optimistic will get published somewhere. (It's about Russia). And I may have a chance to be on TV this week as well. Let's hope those "fullbars" keep doing their job since right now I look like a small village on TV.

1 comment:

Did you find this post helpful?