Monday, June 22, 2009

So I've moved up a few places

Here it is Monday morning and I'll just check in quickly. Wrote one review this morning, on Ghost Map, a little book about the fellow who found the causes of cholera. It's one of my favorite teaching books in social science research methods and I'm happy to share with others why I love the book.

AND THEN I CHECKED MY STATS! I'm at number 4260 for new reviewers. That's right! I've moved up almost 600 places overnight. I am, of course, already fantasizing about what I will do once I'm in the top 3000. And here's where it gets weird. I always like to check and see who my "neighbors" are -- in this case, number 4261 and number 4259. Old 4261 has a particular fascination with Asperger's syndrome -- which I would argue is not surprising -- because I think many of use who read at this volume are probably hyperlexic, yours truly included. For all I know, everyone in the top 1000 is as we say in my neighborhood, "on the spectrum" -- a bit socially awkward, prefers abstract knowledge gained from books to social knowledge gained from people and so forth.

But here's where it gets weird. Check out old 4259. He apparently really likes romance novels -- as does his wife. Is that him? I can't decide if I find the image compelling or repulsive. But doesn't it make you want to know more about this guy? I'm just saying . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you find this post helpful?