Thursday, June 18, 2009

Crafting my strategy

I've decided to give myself exactly one year to unseat Harriet. I'm borrowing that strategy from the author of "The Year of Living Biblically" and "The Know-it-All". It seems like a project of this sort should have a finite end to it, and then the story should be written, one way or the author. Also, if you've ever read the book about the "Julia-Julia Project" -- where a woman in New York (named Julia) gives herself one year to work through all of Juliet Child's recipes in 'The Art of French Cooking', you'll see that this seems to be a common theme for memoirs. I like the way that in all of these books, there's a certain tension as the deadline approaches and you're unsure whether or not the author will make it, and then he (or she) puts pedal to the metal and goes full out in their quest. (See also, "Such a Pretty Fat" in which the author attempts to get thin and beautiful in one year. Personally, I enjoyed reading it, but would be too intimidated to actually try to do it.)
So that's Decision One: The Time Frame is One Year.
Next Decision: Is it fair to review things other than books, or is it cheating to call yourself "amazon's top reviewer" if you've also reviewed vacuum cleaners, vitamins for your cat and, er, grooming aids. As always, your thoughts are appreciated. I already know what Harriet's are -- she's a pure "literary critic" -- as befits a former librarian. But, as they say on the playground, "I know you are, but what am I?"

1 comment:

  1. The only way you'll pass Harriet is by reviewing everything under the sun. Since Amazon lets you, I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Did you find this post helpful?