Saturday, June 20, 2009

My stats for today, Saturday, 20

TOTAL Number of reviews written: 45
New Reviewer Rank: 4849
Classic Rank: 5855
Number of reviews written today: 2
family members ignored: None. Kind of hard to do when most of the day was spent at a blisteringly hot swim meet where I screamed myself hoarse AND GOT NO READING DONE.
Potato chips? Nada. Zip. Zilch. PRetty darned proud of that, I must say.

Points to ponder: Should I get to take time off on the weekend? If is more of a job or a quest? Presumably if it's a job it's OK to take breaks -- but if it's more like climbing Everest, then you don't really get to stop just because it's the weekend, do you?

Unfortunately, one unfortunate side effect of this regime (at this stage) is that I'm developing profound sympathy for both my husband and my middle child, both of whom CAN read but aren't exactly enamored of it. There's nothing quite like the feeling of waking up the morning, gazing at the piles of books sitting everywhere in the house and thinking "Must read. Must write reviews now." All of sudden, NOT doing that sounds very good indeed -- even when previously there was nothing quite like curling up with a good book.

I'm equally disturbed by the fact that I find myself picking up books and thinking to myself, 'How long is it? How long will it take to finish this?" -- since that sounds EXACTLY how my eleven year old talks about books. Hoping this doesn't become a permanent trait.

Also, I'm trying to be somewhat disciplined about not reading magazines and newspapers when I could be reading (and reviewing) books instead. Same for some of my favorite bloggers. Wouldn't it be a shame if at the end of this year, I knew ALOT about literature of all kinds, including pulp fiction, but was hideously informed about the rest of the world and current events?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you find this post helpful?